Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's their game; I can't win

So I think a big part of the problem I've had with my principal is a difference in priorities:  she wants me to put on spectacular shows to entertain the all-important community, and I want to educate the students.  And when some of the students are kindergartners, you can't exactly do both.  So when she "gave me the option" of putting on a talent show, I figured I'd better.

At first, things got better after I started putting the talent show together.  I even was finally mentioned once in that Friday bulletin with a list of accomplishments that I think all PLC-trained administrators think they have to send out every week.

My principal made it seem pretty easy:  just put together auditions, pick 10 groups, and have them perform for the school.  The students would do all their practicing on their own time.  It was more work than I though.  I didn't want to be the sole decider of talent, so I put together a committee.  We had meetings.  We made posters.  We designed a permission-slip, and I kept track of the dozens I received.  I found a rubric and helped design a scoring sheet so that we could be objective as possible.  And Thursday night, I stayed after school for hours to actually watch the auditions.

And my principal decided to hinder me once again.  She didn't want anyone to cry when they found out they hadn't made it.  So maybe we should just put on a 2-plus-hour show after school and include everyone:  the students who forgot their CDs and the lyrics to their songs; the 2nd-graders dancing to songs about 3-somes; the students whose costumes kept them from actually dancing; the kid who got on stage in his karate-outfit (whatever it's called) and asked, "what do I do now?"

I didn't even want to put this on.  I can't believe how much work the art teacher and I put into it (plus the rest of my committee members) and I can't even do this without interference.  Why did I even try?

2 comments:

  1. Ugh - it sounds like you have a principal who not only has 0 respect for the music curriculum, she doesn't care if her 'requests' completely dominate the priorities of your program, or undermine your program goals. They will use you as a dog-and-pony show to keep the crowd happy. That was my on-going battle, and I might have lost of not for the fact that my former principal was eventually devoured by forces far more powerful than I.

    The musician and teacher in me says "Never surrender!" The survivalist in me says "Give them what they want, or at least make them believe that is what you are doing." Most importantly, be careful about being set up to take the blame if something goes wrong. Of course, if it all turns out okay, she'll most likely want to take the credit for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such an amazing information please keep Helping teacher in need

    ReplyDelete