Monday, February 23, 2009

The Joys of Having a Sub

I'm out sick today. I've had this terrible cough for what seems like forever (the doctor said it may last a month) and have taken one or two days off per week since it started. I hate being out sick, though, because I never know what will happen in my class while I'm out. I've had several interesting substitutes, who rarely ever do what I want:

I had one actually follow my lesson plan (mostly) but teach my students (and somehow they retained this despite my best efforts) that saxophones are in the brass family of instruments. Of course, saxophones are made out of brass, but, by virtue of the reed mouthpieces, are actually in the woodwind family. Plus, no brass instruments have that many keys. But you have no idea how much it work to convince my students of that.

I had another teach my lesson plan to the tee, except she didn't have the students sing, because she herself didn't know how. So I had a music class listen to a song several times, but not actually making music, because somehow the substitute didn't feel qualified to say "sing along this time".

The worst, however, are when they completely ignore my lesson plan. I had a substitute recently who left no note whatsoever. So I asked the students what happened (and I hate having to ask my students what happens in my own classroom). They told me they watched a movie. I didn't leave a movie, and the only movie I found in the room when I returned was Back to the Future, which I think was for the after-school program. The students told me the movie was about musical instruments, so I don't think it was Back to the Future, but I wish the lady had returned my phone calls. At least I don't expect the office will schedule her for me again.

And sometimes there is no substitute for me. Then it's really embarrassing to ask my students what happened in my classroom. And I have to figure out how to "make-up" the time.

I have had a substitute lately, who I hope to have again today. He doesn't understand music, but leaves thorough notes, doesn't yell at the students, and when I get back there are stacks of papers they wrote, showing me that they did something. You would think leaving the book of lessons developed by our textbook series developed specifically for non-music substitutes would be a bit more idiot-proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment