Monday, April 20, 2009

Heat wave after spring break

This is the first day back from spring break, and boy is it hot! The air conditioner in my classroom is on a timer, which means it never comes on when I need it and the custodian can't change it. Despite that, I had a good teaching day. My sixth graders have been bothering me about singing a Beatles song, so today we did "Birthday".

First we listened to it and analyzed the form (ABCA). Then we sang along. After that, I told them we were going to compose something in ABCA form as a class. They did pretty well, altogether, although I need to work on having everyone participate in that sort of activity without them interrupting each other and shouting. Next week I'll have them write pieces in small groups so I can make sure they're all participating. But I was impressed with how they did. The first class's composition was mostly eighth notes and quarter notes, which was fine. The next class was worrying about pitch, as well. They ended up with a pretty interesting piece of music, and would have kept going if I hadn't stopped them. My last class's A section was quarter notes and eighth notes on an A, their B section was the famous Beethoven motive, and their C section was the class singing the "William Tell Overture". Fun.

After teaching, I resolved the issue of when my shows are (without any response from the principal). Then I drove to my other school and got the lyric-prompting posters ready for my students, so I can run over there tomorrow and be ready for their dress rehearsal.

It's good to be back in the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment