Wednesday, April 1, 2009

More that I've learned about behavior

When I started teaching, I understood that my students were children and would have a hard time behaving in certain situations. I also felt like it was my responsibility to try to teach them how. I still think these things, but the way I respond to them has changed a lot.

Since my first year I have learned a lot about how to pace a class correctly. My first year, I went too fast. I gave directions once, assuming they would know most of what to do, and then I was frustrated when they didn't do what I had asked. My next year, I learned to give directions better. I would say what I expected, write it down, have students repeat it, show examples, etc. Students knew what to do, but blocked out half of what I said.

This year, I keep the pacing somewhere in between. I keep my students busy. This had eliminated most of my discipline issues. My sixth graders were very difficult at the beginning of the year, so I had them drumming and singing and writing, and the situation improved. I'm still trying to find a balance, and making sure that all their business is helping them learn, so if you have any insights I would love for you to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment