Monday, January 17, 2011

I work for the kids, not the administration

Well after all the time I wasted over my break lamenting that I would have to go back, it turns out it felt really nice to be back. As hard a time as I have with the administration of the school, I actually see them very little. And it was good to see my students again.

This year has been the first year where I taught students as young as kindergarten (or any grades below 4th since student teaching) and, while it's taken a lot of adjustment, you can't deny that those kids are cute. I love my 2nd graders, who enjoy music so much they all sight "ahhhhh" when I tell them my time is up. Another good experience for me is that I have a self-contained special education class, which I see four times a week. I love getting to know those students so well, and it allows me to try things with them which I don't feel like I always have time to do in other classes. Although it can be difficult finding out what will work for all of them (there's quite a span in terms of their abilities) it's a treat being in that class. Plus, the way the teacher structures and interacts with the students creates an atmosphere which feels good as soon as I walk in the door.

I did force myself to discuss future shows with my principal, but overall it was nice to find that my feelings for the way the school is run didn't stop me from enjoying my job. And how can you not like your job, when your job is to make music with children all day?

No comments:

Post a Comment