Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Assessing

Grades are due soon, so I've been trying to get caught up. Every year gets better, but it's still hard to have so many students to do grades for, especially when so many move away or just moved here.

Anyway, a lot of my grading is done by observation. I keep my seating charts in a page protector, and just put a mark on their names depending on if they can do what they're supposed to, and then I eventually enter those marks in my grades.

I've been trying to do some paper grades, as well. I think it helps me to be able to sit down and have something concrete to look at, and then if the teachers or principal has a question, I have something to show them. The students can give some really interesting answers, though.

In the beginning of the year, I had a substitute present a gospel version of "America the Beautiful" and then the students were supposed to describe the style. I had three students fill in the sheet that the style hurt their feelings. The first one made me laugh, but the third one made me frustrated.

I think I'm still trying to get the balance of assessment. Mostly I have to remind myself to pay attention and write it down, instead of just walking around and helping. Maybe someday I'll get a camcorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment