Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Break out the champagne?

Well today I passed what I guess must be a milestone in my career: I made one of my principals upset at me.

I'm required every year to put on two shows per school. These are usually scheduled with the my approval, so that I can go. That principal, though, likes my shows on the same day as open house, which is scheduled without my input.

Open house has been scheduled all year, and, yes I've had the date for a while, but today I realized that that date was horrifically bad for me, because of some non-school issues. I reasoned that, since I hadn't actually confirmed with the principal this year that my shows would happen then, it would be reasonable to ask her that they not.

She was NOT happy. I think she misunderstood and thought I wanted the whole Open House moved (I don't know why she would think I'm that much of a diva) and she was very rude when I explained that part of the conflict is a funeral schedule months in advance (I know it's strange, but that's what my family chose to do, again without my input).

I went back to my classroom and cried (I've been overwhelmed about that weekend since before I found out about the Open House, plus it was difficult to listen to her talk to me like that) but then I started reasoning it out. Basically, it doesn't matter very much that she's upset. She let me move my shows, she didn't write me up, and she'll probably forget about this some day. I just hope it doesn't wind up on my evaluation. But in the context of my whole career, this probably isn't a big deal.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I used to think that I was honor bound to be a loyal and obedient worker bee under my principal. This current one that I'm working under cured me of that (don't get me started).

    I'm hoping that yours is far less an ignoramus than mine is, and that you can work out some kind of understanding. If not... well hey, it's not the end of the world. Principals come and go. Just keep figthing the good fight :-)

    ReplyDelete