Sunday, March 22, 2009

Letting them choose

My sixth graders at one of my schools sing a song during their promotion ceremony on the last day of school. I've had a hard time convincing them to sing the past few years, so this year I decided to let them choose the song. I gave them choices that I thought were appropriate, from their textbook and from a subscription for music teachers, and had each student vote. With their vote, they had to give me a reason using music terminology, so I could use this for a grade, too.

I'm a little worried about the results, now. I haven't gone through them but most of my last class seemed to be voting for one that my other classes didn't like. If that wins, I'll have to hope they don't remember disliking it and just post the results. It was interesting the write-ins I got, too. One student voted for "The Bucky Rogers Theme Song" because it has a good message. I need to find out what that is. I also had votes for a Chris Brown song. Thankfully, there's no way that will be the winner.

UPDATE: Actually "The Buck Rogers Theme Song" actually would have been appropriate. I also had write-in votes for "Don't Worry" and "Let it Be".

No comments:

Post a Comment